Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Modern horror vs. classic horror

A hot-button big-topic point of debate with horror media fans is classic horror versus modern horror. Bringing this issue up in a forum or room inhabited by die-hard horror movie goers will be sure to ignite a flame war. Classic horror's fans will be sure to bring up the original ideas and cheesy but golden special effects, while those who stand with modern horror are quick to pronounce the franchise's incredible visual effects and intricate plots.

Myself, I'm stuck in the middle. There's no way I'm going to be able to deny the genius of classic horror flicks like Psycho and Dracula. Because the horror franchise was so new back then, new ideas of what could get people scared were abundant, if somewhat gimmick-y. With the absence of computerized visual effects, filmmakers used only their cameras and what they could do in front of the screen. This era is when special effects (effects and gimmicks done in real time, in front of the camera. These include make-up, explosions, lights and fog.) really came into their own. For proof of incredibly scary but super old films, check this link of some compiled classic films.

I'm also a huge advocate (and can get myself pretty heated on the subject of) modern horror media. I love the films that the modern horror industry have been churning out lately. Though I must say in the recent years (5-ish years) I've been looking at a lull in the horror flicks that have come out.
Nevertheless, I'm a fan of modern horror's intricate plots and on-screen shocks and thrills. Take Insidious 1 and 2. I consider these films (as a duo) to be the best horror films that have come out in the last 20 years.
I say this because the plot is thought out and well executed (a feat that many modern horror films are lacking), the visual and special effects are not in-your-face but subtle and inclusive. Insidious 1 and 2 also employs a lot of what makes classic films great- an impressive and haunting soundtrack, smooth editing, and the simple use of on-screen lights and fog.

Both franchises (though they are technically the same thing, I do see them as separate franchises) have significant differences- positives and negatives. I enjoy the franchises as two separate things instead of picking one over the other. Doing this, I'm able to be satisfied completely as a horror movie lover.
Image credits: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/horror-movies/quiz/show/83412/which-popular-classic-horror-film-image-from & http://www.moviesonline.ca/2010/10/top-5-modern-horror-icons/


No comments:

Post a Comment